Here’s How to Prepare Your Child for a New Routine
The warm, happy days of August always hurdle the end of carefree summer days and… back to school.
From paper, pens and pencils to toothbrushes and toothpaste – parents begin the anxious journey of back to school preparations for their kids, big and small. For those children still at home, oral health continues with routine dental cleanings and the completion of any outstanding dental work before school begins.
For children moving away from home to go study preparing to go back to school may require a few more oral health considerations:
- One toothbrush is usually not enough for kids leaving home to go back to school. Pack at least 3-4 soft or extra-soft toothbrushes. Toothbrushes should be replaced at least every 6-8 weeks. An Oral-B electric toothbrush will be a terrific going-away gift for your child. It will help to ensure easy, proper and thorough teeth brushing during the stressful days of school. Remember to also purchase extra replacement heads for the electric toothbrush.
- Pack a bottle of Listerine Total Care Zero with your child to take with them. Listerine is an effective mouth rinse to help reduce and prevent gingivitis and inflammation of the gums when used together with other oral health care routines. Listerine Total Care Zero contains fluoride which can help reduce the risk of tooth decay and tooth sensitivity.
- Which toothpaste should you pack? Toothpaste with fluoride is best. However, special toothpaste with tartar control and toothpaste to protect teeth against acid erosion is a superior choice for students studying away from home. Often, children studying away from home have diets high in acids and sugars. Pro-enamel toothpaste is an excellent toothpaste to help protect teeth against acid attacks and decay.
- Pack them lots of gum with Xylitol, like PUR brand gum. Xylitol helps reduce the risk of cavities by stimulating saliva and reducing acids in the mouth. Many students snack often during the day on high-sugar treats. Chewing gum with Xylitol is a great way to help cleanse and protect teeth in between brushings.
- Dental Exam and Teeth Cleaning.
Ensuring your children’s teeth and gums are healthy and free of any dental problems is one of the most important back to school preparations parents can make for their children leaving home to study. Beginning school with good oral health will decrease the chances of students needing time away from school due to dental concerns, and will be an important factor for overall well-being. To all those students who are leaving home for school, good luck! Give it your very best – it’s not how you start it’s how you finish.
To all those parents preparing their children to leave home – remember our children need our support, our mentoring and our guidance at every age – and no matter where they are in the world.
Happy commencement to everyone!!