How To Treat Gum Infections
Your gums are a dexterous, yet sensitive part of your body. Without proper treatment, they are prone to getting infections that can spread to the entire mouth area. A common symptom of gum infection is excessive pain in the gums along with redness, inflammation, bleeding, pus, and bad breath. If you notice any of these symptoms in your gums, you should seek gum infection treatment right away.
At Home Gum Infection Treatments
There are a couple things that you can do to treat gum infections at home. You can try:
• Salt water rinses: salt will disinfect, remove bacteria, and ease pain in the gum area.
• Oil-pulling: oil-pulling helps treat inflamed gums as coconut oil is antimicrobial properties that reduces plaque and infectious germs.
• Over the counter medication: ibuprofen can be effective in reducing pain and inflammation
• Mouthwash: mouthwash will also disinfect, remove bacteria, and ease pain.
Dentist/ Dental Hygienist Treatment
A dentist or a dental hygienist in Vaughan will be able to treat your gum infection more effectively and ensure that it goes away quickly. Some things that they can do for you that you cannot do at home is:
• Antibiotics: dental professionals are able to prescribe antibiotics that can kill off the infection in the affected gum area.
• Root Planing: if the gum infection is severe or if you experience repeated gum infections, root planning—in which your dentist or dental hygienist will preform an advanced form of deep cleaning of the teeth and gums all the way down to the root—can be effective.
• Gingivectormy: this treatment is also used in severe/ repeated cases of gum infection. This treatment aims to remove infected gum tissue so that infection does not spread to the rest of your mouth.
• Oral Surgery: If your gum infection cannot be treated with at home remedies and is even beyond antibiotic treatment, oral surgery may be recommended in order to get rid of the insistent infection.
The only way to be certain that you have a gum infection is to make an appointment with a dental professional. See your dentist or dental hygienist in Vaughan to get professional treatment and to ensure that your gum infection does not advance into something more dangerous.
To get expert guidance from a dental hygienist in Vaughan, call us today at 410.835.5002 or visit the Maple Dental Hygiene care website to book an appointment.