How Often You Should Visit Your Dental Hygienist
Everyone knows the general rule when it comes to visiting your dental hygienist, be sure to visit every 6 months or earlier if tooth aches or problems occur. This, however, isn’t necessarily true. There are many other factors that would influence the need for you to visit your dental hygienist more frequently. Here are some things to consider while determining how often you should visit a professional dental hygienist.
What Dental Hygienists Do
The first thing to consider when figuring out how often you should visit your dental hygienist, you should have a clear understanding of what they actually do so that you can gauge their necessity. Here is what typically happens at a dental hygienist appointment:
- A thorough examination of the mouth for swelling, inflammation, bleeding or other dental health problems.
- Checking for signs of periodontal disease.
- Checking for plaque build-up
- Evaluate your brushing and flossing technique in order to inform you on how you can do better (if necessary)
- A deep clean of your mouth to remove plaque and tartar build-up
- Advise you on helpful tips and tricks to keep your mouth cleaner
Factors That Will Influence The Frequency of Visits
Here are the 4 factors you should always consider:
- If you have excellent dental health (unrestored, uncrowded teeth and no history of gum disease), you will probably be fine visiting a dental hygienist every 6 months
- In the instance you have fillings or a history of poor dental health and/or dental disease, you should visit every 4 months
- If you are highly susceptible to gum disease (due to pregnancy, genetic predisposition, adolescence, orthodontic treatment, etc.), you should visit a dentist every 2-3 months
- If you are looking to care for the dental health of a child, you should have them visit a dental hygienist every 4-6 months. In the instance said child wears braces, every 3 months is recommended. Food can get caught in braces and brushing quality may be lower, which can lead to dental issues.
Be sure that you are visiting your dental hygienist in a way that is right for you. Don’t wait for the pain to start. Be proactive with your dental healthcare. Visit Pina Mazza at Maple Dental Hygiene Care today for the best quality dental hygiene care in Vaughan. Call today to book an appointment: (905) 597-6342.