Oral cancer, like every other cancer, is caused by the overgrowth of cells. This is very commonly caused by human papillomavirus (HPV), an incurable sexually transmitted disease (STD) that has been on the rise in recent years.
A person with HPV can transmit the disease through skin-to-skin genital contact including vaginal, anal, oral sex, and kissing. This is why it is critical to engage in safe sex and to get regular oral cancer screenings.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, visit a registered dental hygienist immediately:
● An ulcer or sore in the mouth that does not heal within 2-3 weeks
● Pain in the mouth that does not go away
● A white or red patch inside the mouth
● Difficult or painful swallowing or persistent sore throat or hoarse voice
● Trouble moving the jaw or tongue
● A painless lump in the neck or mouth lasting more than 2 weeks
Because HPV oral cancer is more difficult to discover than other types of cancers, such as smoking related cancers, the only way to know if you have it is to get an oral cancer screening done by a registered dental hygienist.
Keep your mouth in optimal health by visiting Pina Mazza, Registered Dental Hygienist in Vaughan today. Call 416.835.5002. to schedule an appointment. For more information about our HPV Oral Cancer screening, visit www.mapledentalhygienecare.com